Learn how Workplace can help HR teams build a culture of recognition and care.
For many employees, a compliment — not compensation — makes all the difference when it comes to feeling valued at work.
Why is it important?
- Work is not working, according to a 2017 Gallup poll, 85% of the global workforce is currently disengaged in their work.
- Deloitte found that 43% of millennials are planning to leave their current job within two years.
- Not only is there the obvious emotional cost of low-engagement with work, happy employees are actually 12% more productive.
- US organizations are spending over $100 billion annually on incentive programs. But employees, especially younger employees, either aren't benefitting or, more to the point, just don't care.
- 60% of young Americans say they value the quality of their work lives over the financial payoffs.
Sam Walton, the legendary founder of Walmart, summed it up pretty well: “Nothing else can quite substitute for a few well-chosen, well-timed, sincere words of praise. They’re absolutely free and worth a fortune.”
Employees agree. Global studies show that 79% of people who quit their jobs cite ‘lack of appreciation’ as their reason for leaving.
If you get it right, recognition can be one of the biggest drivers of company culture. It influences relationships, happiness, and values - all the good stuff that you want your organization to be known for.Give recognition at scale with Badges
Give recognition at scale with Badges
Badges offer a scalable way to recognize employees for their roles and achievements, directly on their profile pages. Workplace offers a variety of automatic badges and admin-awarded badges. Admins can also create custom badges to recognize employees for their company-specific achievements and help reinforce your unique company values.
System Admins, Content Moderators, Account Managers and any admin with a custom role containing the ‘Manage badges’ permission can manage Badges from the Admin Panel. Badges can be awarded individually or in bulk using a spreadsheet, and admins can toggle certain badges on or off at any time. Learn how to create and award badges in the Help Center.
Encourage peer recognition with Thanks
Encourage peer recognition with Thanks
Giving recognition isn’t a one-way street from people managers to their direct reports. Employees can also recognize their peers for their hard work and support. When employees are able to provide this kind of positive reinforcement to their colleagues, managers can better identify high performance they might have missed, company culture improves, and employee engagement improves along with it.
Employees can give thanks by navigating to their colleagues’ profile and clicking on the ‘Give Thanks’ button. They can then write a thank you message and select whether they’d like their colleague’s manager to be notified. The Thanks message will then appear on the colleague’s timeline.Share team wins as achievement posts
Share team wins as achievement posts
Showcase your team's successes by sharing an achievement post in your team group, department group, or an all-company discussion group. Sharing your team's achievements helps increase the visibility of their work and help them gain more recognition across the company.Automate recognition with bots
Automate recognition with bots
Bot integrations such as Recognize, allow you to acknowledge high performing employees with simple tools that make recognition quick, frictionless, and public.Deliver recognition through groups
5. Deliver recognition through groups
- Create an open group called "Recognition" and automatically add all your employees.
- Outline the criteria for inviting peer, manager, and leader nominations that are aligned to your organizational values and mission.
- Encourage managers to share stories of the impact their teams are creating everyday, and have peers share their appreciation of others who went above and beyond.
- Ask for peer nominations like 'Win of the Week” or 'Top Teammate of the Month'. Share them in the group, and highlight the winners through a regular Live spotlight.
- Increase employee satisfaction and retention.
- Build a positive work culture.
- Decrease spending on incentive programs.
- Improve relationships between managers and direct reports and build a culture of trust.
See how Memorial Health used Workplace to drive recognition programs and build a strong company culture.